Sunday, 13 September 2009
On October 19th 1985 the Adelaide Lithuanian Community Committee celebrated 30 years. In 1955 the organisation was registered, but the community began years earlier. The community was not flushed with funds, money was needed to established themsleves in their new home, but the community was full of hope.
A meeting held on 8 February 1953 formed a committee to look into the establishment of a community centre.
The first committee consisted of
V Raginis President
J Kalvaitis Vice President
J Pyragius Secretary
A Sliuzas Treasurer
On August 24th 1957 the old church at Eastry St, Norwood was purchased. To purchase the property the bank required guarantors, who were K Reisonas, V Raginis, Jonas Lapsys, J Arminas, L Martinkus, and Antanas Morkunas.
The property then went through many changes, building, renovating and decorating.